Are you weather ready?
The National Met Office is running a campaign called #WeatherReady. The campaign encourages people living in Leeds to take simple steps to stay safe and well, whatever the weather.
These steps include,
- Top up anti-freeze screen wash, check your tires and think about a winter kit for your car.
- Think about travel plans for severe weather and childcare plans in case of school or nursery closure.
- Check your heating. Your home should be heated to at least 18 °c.
- Think about how you would access vital information if a storm takes out power and phonelines.
- Think about what may be impacted by strong winds or flooding. This might be guttering, pipes, roof tiles and roof slates, things in your garden and things stored on your ground floor of your home.
- Check your pipes are insulated and know where your stop tap is.
- Make sure you have basic supplies in case you have to leave home quickly or your power and water are disrupted.
- Share this checklist with your neighbors, see if they have any other tips and tell them if you can help in severe weather.
- Find out what else you can do to prepare yourself and your community for severe weather.
Keep an eye out on weather alerts from the Met Office on Twitter by following @metoffice and stay #WeatherReady.
For more information visit the Met Office’s website https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/advice/weather-ready/winter-readiness-checklist